Sunday, January 22, 2012

MLK

First off, I am puh-retty sure we will never get a snow day! I check the 10 day forecast everyday in hopes of some snow in our near future. Nothing. Maybe I need to start doing a snow dance or something :) Come on, Mother Nature!

Okay, so, this week we focused a lot on tolerance as we learned about Martin Luther King, Jr. My kids got a lot out of all the books we read and all the discussions we had.

I began our week with an activity that I am always nervous to do, but it has a HUGE impact. {Be sure if you do this, that your class can handle it! I pulled a boy aside who I knew would get his feelings really hurt at first, and I just asked him if he trusted that I would never do anything to hurt his feelings, and he said he did, and during the activity I kept assuring him by looking at him and nodding, etc...}  I told my kids that I had a special treat for the "good" kids. So of course they all put their heads down and put bubbles in their mouths :) Well, I walked around and handed lollipops to just the girls. It is always SO. HARD. skipping over the boys {some of them, anyway, ha}. I then told all my "good" kids that they got to sit right in the front of our meeting area with me, and that the rest of the class had to sit in the back. The girls got to eat their lollipops, and the boys came to the carpet looking very hurt... I started asking the boys how they felt. They said they were mad and sad, and one said, "I'm mad because I know I am a good kid." Then I asked the girls what they thought, and most of them thought it wasn't fair. Well by this point my little smarties started to get that we were modeling segregation, and that I segregated the boys just because they were different from me. {And of course I reassured the WHOLE class that Mrs. Lynes would never do this for real as I handed the boys lollipops.} Then we had a great discussion about how it was in MLK's time, and read a book about him. I'm always worried about doing this mini lesson just because I hate hurting the boys' feelings for those few minutes, but it is a GREAT lesson to show what segregation probably felt like! 

I showed that even though we may look different and have different beliefs, we are all on the same on the inside by cracking open a white and brown egg. Pretty self explanatory :)


Then I had the kids trace and cut out their hands. They had to color the paper with crayons and mix colors to match their skin tone. Then I made a chain of all their hands and added the quote by Kofi Annan... "We may have different religions, different languages, different colored skin, but we all belong to one human race."


We read a lot about MLK, and watched some video clips about him, and the kids got to hear parts of the "I have a dream..." speech. They thought it was so cool! We used Mrs. Prince's MLK mobile FREEBIE to write about our dreams for our school, our community, and our world. They came up with some sweet and thoughtful ideas :)


And of course we had to make Martin Luther King to go along with our writing :) I did not give them any templates to use, I just let them go at it. I LOVE how different each Martin looks!



For the next few weeks will studying space! It should be lots of fun! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great week in your classroom! :) Space is one of my favorite topics of study too!
    Lisa
    Stories From Second

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a new follower and I absolutely love this so creative

    ReplyDelete