Friday, December 7, 2012

Grinch Week! The best week of the year!!!

You all. I love Grinch Week. LOVE IT!! It is so much fun and the kids absolutely enjoy it!! I have been looking forward to this week for a couple of weeks now.... And now it's already over!! Today was our school's 2nd Annual Grinch Day {I HAD to get that started last year!!}. Our kids led our morning assembly, and sang Deanna Jump's Mr. Grinch song! Amy and I added a few lines to the song to make it longer for 2nd graders... I may be a bit biased, but our kids ROCKED it!
 
 
 I absolutely LOVE this book. It is probably my favorite Christmas book! I read it to the kids twice, then they practice a reader's theater for it all week {and they were AWESOME!} We did a lot of activities found in my Mean, Green Christmas Pack and I just wanted to share some photos with you :) ENJOY!
 
After reading the book the first day, we discussed character traits of the Grinch. We also brainstormed adjectives about how his heart was at the beginning and end of the story.
 
 
The next day after reading the book again, the kids wrote a few sentences about the Grinch at the beginning and the end of the story. They also wrote adjectives to describe his heart :)

 
We worked on antonyms....
 
 
We wrote "How to be a Grinch" and made a mini class book out of it!
 

 
We measured the Whos' gifts with partners...
 

 
We worked on Grinchy Fractions...
 

 
The Grinch wasn't feeling Grinchy anymore, so he brought us a little treat from the store :)
 
 
Then we ended our unit by watching the cartoon movie and enjoying Grinch Punch and Grinch Grub!!
 

 
And the kids got to go home with this little treat from the Grinch {Cindy Lou Who dropped it off for the Grinch!}...
 
{The green notes are not my original idea.. I found these tags through Pinterest}
 
All in all it was an AWESOME week!! The kids had so much fun, and so did we :) Next week we will work on our Elf Applications and Elf Craftivity {pictures to come soon!} And then on to our Gingerbread Man Unit!
 
HAPPY WEEKEND, FRIENDS!
 

9 comments:

  1. Very neat. I'll have to see if I can pull this off in my class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have the recipe for the punch and the treat? I would love to do that with my kiddos... we are doing that story next Wednesday and this would be fun! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would use Sprite and Lime sherbert or there is a green Hawiian Punch. Merry Chritsmas!

      Delete
  3. Very fun! I too, love the Grinch and read it to my students each year. I clicked on the link for the Grinchy Fun Pack but it's not there. Did I miss it? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The punch is just lime sherbet and ginger ale!!!

    TpT got a notice from Dr. Seuss Inc that all Grinch products were to be taken down :( so sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I love this pack! Do you have it to share or purchase? I looked on TPT and found other Grinch related activities but not yours. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! If you search "A Mean, Green Christmas" it should come up! Thanks for your interest!

      Delete
  6. Do you have the Reader's Theater that you use??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel over at The Tattooed Teacher has a copy!
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3xZyhRdTCWtblRPZHhXYnA4UGM/view

      Delete