Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Grinch!

Grinch Week was so fun!! I will definitely be doing it again next year, and it may even be a two week thing! Originally, I wanted to do a Grinch Day with my kiddos. I shared the ideas I had found through Cara  and Deanna  with my team and it turned into a whole week of fun! We decided we wanted to do a day where we all wore green and Santa hats, and the whole school wanted in on the action! It was great! Look at my sweet Assistant Principal, aka Cindy-Lou-Who!


She visited our class and was a special guest reader for our Grinch reader's theater! The kids were stoked! We practiced our reader's theater all week long, then got to share it with my friend Amy's class. They did great! This story is a great one to reinforce reading with expression!

After I read the story for the first time, I had the kids describe the Grinch. They also came up with adjectives to describe his heart at the beginning of the story, and his heart at the end.



Then they did some writing comparing the Grinch (and his heart) at the beginning and end of the story. They did an awesome job!



We talked a lot about how the Grinch had changed in the story, and what caused him to change. I was able to tie in antonyms with this. I gave each child half of a heart. On the left side of the heart was a word that described Grinch (and/or his heart) at the beginning, and on the right side of the heart was a word that described the Grinch at the end. The kids had to find a person who had the antonym to their word. They did great!




Then to assess them, I made up this antonym page. Nothin' fancy. Again, it went along with how the Grinch was at the beginning and at the end of the story. (Sorry it's a little blurry).



We worked on similies this week, too. I first read this cute book: 
Then we listened to the Grinch song. You hear a couple of similies in the song, like, "You're as cuddly as a cactus." So we brainstormed similies to describe the Grinch, and then similies to describe Cindy Lou-Who! The similies they came up with were darling!





We worked on fractions, too!


We also practiced measuring in inches and centimeters by measuring the Whos' presents! The kids worked with a buddy to measure the length and height of each gift.



At the end of the week, we ate "Grinch Grub" (basically rice krispy treats, but you use corn flakes instead, and you dye it green!), watched the cartoon Grinch movie, and made the Grinch grin!


I loved this week and can't wait to do it again next year! Off to plan our Gingerbread Week now :) Have a great weekend, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment